Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hard

Recently I have been traveling. These past 2 and half weeks to be exact.
More to come on that later.

The other day I was watching a youtube video of John Green (one of my favorite authors) describing the hardest thing he has ever done.
His answer wasn't being a parent. Because he said parenting was "fun".
He didn't say it was surviving the bullies of high school or even finishing college.
It was writing his first book, Looking For Alaska.
The reason being that it took him so long to finish it and that writing a novel is just generally tough.

The funny thing about this video was that while I was watching it, I couldn't help but start to think about the hardest thing that I've ever done.
And I truly and honestly couldn't think of anything.
Was it taking all of those required state tests or playing (well attempting to play) sports?
Was it saying goodbye to those friends who moved away?
What is the hardest thing I have ever done?

Being an exchange student in Thailand didn't even cross my mind.

I didn't even think about that until latter.
I have no idea what this means.
But this is what I'm taking from it.

Going on exchange isn't a vacation. It isn't torture either. It isn't a thing you do. It isn't a break from life. It is life. It's reality. I wake up everyday and think 'I'm in Thailand'. And that's completely normal.
Being an exchange student is hard.But nothing worth doing is easy.

Book: THYOMWCOOTWACA page 210, I'm really enjoying this book and would suggest that everyone read it!! So far, I am amazed at how many famous 20th century political leaders can be fit into this book. Although it's not forced. It's quite charming. I don't know how to describe it!! Just read it!
Thai: son (say it longer though).........................fork

No comments:

Post a Comment