Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Staring

There are many phrases that you are taught as a kid.
Don't talk to strangers.
It's rude to point.
Don't stare.
Or my mothers favorite, don't forget the napkins.

It has come to my attention that Thailand may not use these phrases as often as we do.
Especially about the staring.
Now I live right on the outskirts of Bangkok so there aren't foreigners where I live. For example whenever I see another foreigner in town I try and talk to them because the sightings are so rare. Although us farang (Thai word for foreigner but a better translation would be white or even better not-Thai-and strange- looking) are rarely sighted, we do still exist.
Although I'm not sure all Thai people know this.
For example, whenever I take the Song Tao (truck with a cage in the back, purposes as a bus) there is always one person that will stare at me or look extremely confused as to why I exist.Sometimes this happens on the bus but not so much anymore, maybe I don't notice it.
When I first came here it felt awkward and embarrassing but I'm way past being embarrassed by anything at this point. One time I stared back at the person, just to mess with them, they just kept on looking at me.
This fact just makes me laugh.
I've met one other farang on the bus before and it turned out he is a teacher at the school next to mine and has lived here for ten years.

Farang are always on the river boats though.
That's why I take the bus instead of the boats.

Book: Only read about 20 pages today so hopefully I'll finish The Destiny of Natalie X and Other Stories tomorrow.
Thai: doo.......look/watch

No comments:

Post a Comment