Thursday, November 22, 2012

Breakfast

Today is Thanksgiving... well in the states it is. Here it's just another average day. I even had to go to school today because here they don't have the whole "you can miss school for religious/cultural holidays thing." Even though Thailand technically has freedom of religion, 98% of the population is Buddhist and every day at every public and private school in Thailand they say a pray to Buddha after the whole school sings the National Anthem. Yup that's totally what Freedom of Religion means.
But alas, Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday, but in a way, we treat it like one. People fly across the nation to spend time with their families (whether they like them or not), we all put in what we can to make sure that there is plenty to eat, there are days of preparation whether it be cooking or cleaning the house, you don't have to go to work or school etc.. But that's American culture. And isn't it beautiful!

As I see it, there are about three ways that you can see Thanksgiving.
1. A day to spend with family, thinking about what it means to be thankful and to be grateful to have such wonderful friends and family. And then stuff your face with food and probably watch some TV special.
2. A silly celebration about how our ancestors came to America, brought over new diseases that later killed many Native Americans and finally took land that wan't ours. And then you stuff your face with food and probably watch some TV special.
3. A day where you have to try to survive yet another family dinner and unfortunately none of them can cook either. But still you stuff your face with food and probably watch some TV special.
I prefer the first way

My day at school was good. I had Japanese  French, Chinese and cooking class. Which I thoroughly enjoyed but there was still that deep hole inside my gut. The hole that can only be filled with sleeping in, spending all day in my pajamas, eating Thanksgiving dinner, watching the Macy's day Parade and dog show, and especially spending the whole day with all my family.
I wanted to make a Thanksgiving dinner for my family here, but quickly figured out that was impossible because they is only so much western food they sell at import stores and only so much of it is reasonably priced. So I decided to make my host family a good old-fashioned American breakfast for dinner!
I got syrup, butter and pancake mix at a normal grocery store. Found bacon at the import store and eggs are everywhere in Thailand.
And thus, today I made Pancakes for my host family. I was going to make the bacon and eggs too but they were too full of my delicious pancakes.

I was making the last pancake of the night when I accidentally spilled a couple drops on the side of the skillet. Still in the skillet, just not anywhere near the pancake itself.
And while I was standing in the funky outdoor kitchen in my home in Thailand, I thought about those spilled drops of pancake batter. And how they make these tiny delicious pancakes. And how grateful I was for those delicious little things and just for breakfast itself.
And here is a list of all the breakfast foods I am thankful for:

1. Waffles. For all the times my dad has made them for me and for how delicious they are.
2. Hash browns. For the times I've eaten them at Emma's house or in Portland with my parents.
3. Pancakes. For the times my dad made them into letters for my name, mickey mouses, chocolate chip, tye-die, or even the tiny delicious ones that accidentally spill on the skillet.
4. Milk shake thingy. For the times when my dad and I used to dance the the kitchen while he shook up a protein shake for me.
5. Norwegian Pancakes. For all the mornings I have spent at my grandparents eating them right out of the pan.
6. Lefse. No ones can describe how thankful I am for lefse.
7. Aebleskiver. For all the times Besta has made it for my family in the mornings.
8. Raisin brain and bananas. For them always being there for my Grandpa each morning.
9. Scones. For Emma always making them with me in the middle of the afternoon.
10. Cold pizza. For just helping me to be lazy in the mornings and keeping up the American stereotype.
11. Cinnamon Toast Crunch. For being the sugary breakfast cereal that every kid wants but no parent wants to buy.
12. Peanut Butter Toast. For never failing to be delicious. For my dad making them for me when I'm running late to school and for Besta making them for me on Monday afternoons when I was little.

Thank You Breakfast. Thank You for bringing me closer to people and for the memories I will keep forever.

Book: The Hobbit page 177, it's coming along, but it's still a little slow.
Thai: Sure..........................................................................................na chai

No comments:

Post a Comment