Monday, February 11, 2013

English

As one might have noticed by my past few blog entries, that my English speaking and writing skills are deteriorating. Unfortunately.
I was warned about this before I came to Thailand, but it didn't make much sense to me at the time. Now it does though. Now I understand this very well.
See what happens is that everyone is speaking broken English to you, and therefore you speak broken English back to them so they can understand you. And so sometimes I might go a couple days speaking a mixture of broken Thai and broken English.
This has been going on for the past 6 months.
I think it's pretty safe to say that I am terrible at speaking English.
ALTHOUGH
I now understand English better. A lot of times people will ask me "Is this right?" or "Why is it this way and not that way?" about English. Something I've never been asked and don't really have an answer. At first I really had to think about how to explain why English grammar is the way it is, but I find that I'm actually getting a better idea of the language that I speak. Yeah, I learned grammar at school and have taken English classes but they don't teach grammar the way you would learn it if it was your second language.I'm glad I get to learn about my own language because people often don't think about what language they speak, they just speak it.
And this has brought me to the conclusion that I hate speaking English.
I think English is a beautiful language and I'm very lucky that I know it so well BUT I did not choose to speak it. Everyday I am talking with people for are bilingual or multilingual and yet I can only speak English fluently. Yeah I can speak a little Thai, a little Spanish, a tiny bit Chinese, a bit German and a bit French but I so wish that I could speak these languages fluently or at least conversationally.
And so one day, I hope that I won't need English in my everyday life to function.
It's hard for me to explain exactly why I don't want to speak English but I think it's easier to say that I want to learn other languages.
So I'll start with Thai (obviously), and hopefully my Spanish will improve when I get home because I'm going to try to get my house to only speak in Spanish (they don't know this yet (sorry in advance mom but I guess you'll also be learning Spanish)), Sophie is teaching me a German word a day, my French is improving (I can read it fine but I can't seem to pronounce anything correctly) and I feel like in my Chinese classes I am always making progress.
It'll be tough but I know I can do anything- heck I've made it through six months in Thailand!
Also don't worry my blogs will continue to be in English.

Book: I stopped Adventure of State because I just couldn't stand reading it anymore. But Sophie lent me Eat Pray Love and I just finished it today! It was so amazing and beautifully well written. I definitely think its worth a read!
Thai: Go shower, bathe, etc.,................................am nom

1 comment: