Friday, May 29, 2015

Healy

So actually....even though I work in Denali....I live in a town called Healy which is about a 20 minute bus ride away. However, sometimes or a lot of the time there is construction on the one road that links Anchorage to Fairbanks and thus the ride becomes much longer. It's strange having to depend on this shuttle to get to work each day because it runs every hour.
I have become used to public transportation in Thailand where it could come every five minutes or just never. I have become used to public transportation in DC where fifteen long minutes is the worst that could happen. But this hourly shuttle is more like the public transportation I took to Tacoma Community College each day for school. I was either a half hour late or an hour and a half early to class.
Everyone who works for the McKinley Chalet Resort (like me) or Denali Princess Lodge lives in huge dorms that when we move into cause the population in Healy to nearly triple.
There are three possible dorms.
The Homestead which I live in, composed of three floors.
The Shire which has four people per room but their own bathroom....but no wifi.
Cabins which only those working at the photography stand called Sourdough Studio live in....but without running water.....so a cabin and an outhouse.

In the Homestead and in building in back of the resort there are employee dining halls.
There you get what is served and when you can- because if you miss a shuttle- there goes your lunch time too.
It's pretty good food but then again it reminds me of the dinning hall in MASH where the coffee is oil and you take whatever you can get?
In other words, it makes my cafeteria at American look superb.

For instance, on my first day here, there were hamburgers for lunch and hamburgers for dinner as it was memorial day.
Yesterday there was fish and chips...with warm coleslaw- but still I was pumped for fish and chips!

I've lived in dorms since August. Only living in a home during Thanksgiving when I stayed with my friend Maura, winter break, spring break, and the two weeks I just spent at home before coming here. I'm thankful for having a home to come home to, pets, heavy blankets, waffles, and not one ply toilet paper.
This dorm life is worth living in for the adventures I have taken thus far and to come. So I will wait til August to have the ability to choose what I eat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment