Monday, August 27, 2012

PBOT

Ever since middle school, about age 11, I have had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. Sometimes there was a change in the menu. For instance, when I was sick I would request for Campbell's Chunky Chicken and Dumplings Soup. Or after the holidays a turkey or ham sandwich would appear in my lunch box. The type of drink and crackers has been noted to modify as well.
Although, my lunch in elementary school was much different. Yes, it consisted of the same substances (sandwich, juice, crackers/chips or some sort of snack, and a cookie). Mainly the type of sandwich changed. I was a fan of pepper ham, black forest ham and turkey. But I especially liked the days when I was gifted a peanut butter sandwich. So I switched full time and devoted myself to the creamy nutty glory of the peanut butter sandwich.
Here, I buy lunch at school.
They don't sell peanut butter sandwiches like the ones my dad made me each morning since I can remember. They don't even sell the chemical filled, artificially flavored Uncrustables!
(I never understood the name Uncrustables. It sounds as though the consumer of the sandwich is supposed to uncrust the sandwich, making the you the uncruster? The should call them Uncrusties or The Decrusted or Center Sandwiches! Center as in like center brownies don't have edges or crusts, because they're from the center of the pan.
Anyway....
The food is much better here than the preserved sodium filled food back home. Although, most of the food is a little "unfamiliar".
"Unfamiliar" is the term Rotary asks us exchange students to use instead of odd or weird. However, I am very familiar to what a liver is and I don't want to eat it. ( I did try liver at this noodle shop once, because I'm trying to try everything, and I think that's enough liver for my exchange).
The cafeteria or canteen as my classmates call it, is arranged the same way a cafeteria in the states is arranged. In which there are food stations that sell different types of food, but each station sells the same thing each day.
I have found my station. My peanut butter sandwich of Thailand.
My lunch consists of jasmine rice, 2 to 3 slices of fresh cucumber, Thai breaded chicken with some sort of thai sauce that tastes like sweet and sour sauce, and a teacup sized bowl of chicken broth soup. This costs me 20 baht or about $0.65.
Today I looked around at the other stations, but found myself back at my PBOT (peanut butter sandwich of Thailand).
I gave the lunch lady my meal card and 20 baht and was about to pick up my PBOT from the array of dishes when the lady reached over and picked it up before I could fully grasp my hand around the plate.
She then went over to where the chicken strips were lying and gently placed 3 extra strips onto my plate and handed it to me.
I said thank you (in Thai) and wondered around until I found the table where my classmates decided to sit.

She made my day.

Also in Middle School, my leadership teacher had this activity where if you saw a person perform a Random Act of Kindness you could write their name on the white board an then they would be called down to her class to receive a prize.

Today, I fully realized how amazing random acts of kindness are. And how amazing people are too. The action of giving me more chicken for lunch may be insignificant to her, but it was significant to me.

Everyone is nice to me in Thailand. Sometimes I think it's because I know English or because I have pale skin and blonde hair. Or that sometimes people only talk to me to practice their English speaking skills. But this lunch lady noticed something about me. Not my appearnce or the way I sounded when I tried to speak Thai, but she noticed a characteristic of mine. She noticed my PBOT.

Book: Still on artemis fowl, same page as where i was last time-telling people the my progress with reading books is sort of peer pressure to read more

Thai: Thank You..............................................Krup koon ka/krup (ka if you're a girl, krup if you're a boy)

Please tell me what's your PBOT! Or maybe an action that you like doing daily. Whether it be reading the newspaper or eating cheerios each morning, like me know in the comments!

For a full history of my lunch menu , you can ask Natasha Paranjapye. She can tell you all about goldfish and butter sandwiches.

3 comments:

  1. Is it weird how much I know about your past lunches? I don't think so. haha.
    (finally commenting even though I have read these)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i know right? oh well! Thanks for following me!! It means a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember she my mom made sandwiches for me and I always enjoyed the egg salad sandwiches. They were like gold!

    ReplyDelete