Friday, September 7, 2012

Buses

Today I rode the bus alone for the first time. I have ridden the bus a couple of times before with Gap or my host family, but never by myself.
I don't have a problem with sky trains or subways but buses concern me. Sky trains and subways run on the same route each day and are predictable. Buses are the opposite.
You don't know what time they will come, you don't know if they will stop at your stop and there is always a 50% chance you are on the wrong bus. For instance, I ride bus 64 home from the nonthaburi market. Bus 64 with no air conditioning. Bus 64 with air conditioning will take me into some obscure corner of Bangkok. So i have to be pretty careful.
So, as one can imagine, I was really nervous to take the bus into Bangkok today.
But, as predicted, it went just fine.

Once I'm on the bus, I'm really comfortable. I like taking public transportation. Not for the odd looks from strangers or from the smell of the old seat cushions. But because taking the bus makes me feel like a city person. And I like to feel like a city person.

Now that I have taken the bus in Thailand, I will most definitely be using public transportation in Washington.

Compared to Thailand, everything in America seems so safe!

Books: I HAVE BOOKS NOW! Finished listening to chpt 6 of sherlock holmes, started listening to the tragedy of hamlet, reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It's really good, I started reading it yesterday and I'm already on page 62!

Thai: a-roy..............delicious

1 comment:

  1. Turi, I absolutely love your blog. Very insightful and inspriing. We are living vicariously through you in Thailand. Very exciting. I look forward to every post. Papá

    ReplyDelete