Saturday, September 1, 2012

Stamp

When I'm not in a "Thai Culture Class", I sit in on Class M5. They are one of the classes in the English Program at my school, which means the teachers teach in English.
Ekie, the teacher from New York, was teaching English at the time I sat in on M5. They were learning about cycles. There were 11 pictures of "The Life of a Letter Cycle" drawn on a worksheet, the students had to label each picture or step of the cycle with a sentence in the passive voice.
For example, they would write, the letter is written, the letter is put in an envelope, etc,.
The third picture was of the envelope with a stamp and address written on it.
In my head I thought, The stamp is placed on the envelope.
Then Ekie wrote on the board, "THE STAMP IS STUCKED ON THE ENVELOPE."
What the heck?
This teacher is from America, where he grew up speaking English, that is not English!
So I said, "I don't think that's right".
He responded, "I know it's wrong but they have to learn the rule. Because otherwise they won't understand."
Oh boy.

Book: Still on Sherlock Holmes.
Thai:Two................................Song

No comments:

Post a Comment