Friday, September 21, 2012

Occupy

Recently I have been watching RT, Russian Today when I eat dinner. It's nice to have on in the background and there has been more news on that I actually understand.
Although today they had a special on. The special was about the occupy wall street movement. Today was  the anniversary of the movement.
The funny thing about RT and the occupy movement is that ever since I arrived in Thailand, there have been commercials produced by RT to join Occupy Wall Street and support it on Facebook and other social networking sites. I always thought this was odd, but I just ignore it.
So, for the special they had the interviewer (from Russia I believe), a professor from University of California Sacramento, a businessman from Islamabad, and another businessman/politician from London.
Warning: I really don't know anything about the Occupy movement. At all.
They were all asked questions about how effective the Occupy movement is and what can Americans do to help it move along. The man from Islamabad said they need to be more organized. Seemed to make sense. The man from London said that the movement hasn't been that effective. And I have no idea what the man from Sacramento said at all. Something about the elites, the rising of unions, the teacher strike in Chicago, JP Morgan, private student loans, Obama doing nothing, congress doing nothing, how the stimulus didn't work, job cuts etc., etc., etc. I was really confused. I expected the American to know the most about the movement. Know what's going on and maybe have some intelligent advice to give. But all I saw was a man screaming at the other interviewers and finding myself wanting to turn the TV off.
So I did turn it off. I turned my computer on, and I read about it on Wikipedia.

The whole time I was watching the Sacramento man, I couldn't help but think, "Have you been anywhere outside of America?" or "Have you ever been to a developing country?".

Book: Page 263/310 of WGWG. Hoping to finish it tonight and hoping to do a book trade with another exchange student tomorrow. I am swapping with him The Keeper of Lost Causes (The first book I read here in Thailand) for Paper Towns by John Green.
Thai: Nung.................One

No comments:

Post a Comment