Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Help

The foreign teachers at my school have told me that Thailand is completely opposite. At first I didn't totally believe them, thinking 'there has to be some similarities'. Boy was I wrong.
Everything in Thailand is different.
Everything.

There is another teacher at my school from America. Today he told me a story, a story about "cultural differences".

One day my teacher, Chris, was riding the bus. He noticed that a person was laying in the middle of the road, as he had fallen off his bike and had a scraped knee and leg. He also noticed that no one was helping the man. All the cars were serving around him and the pedestrians just walked past him. So, Chris got off the bus and helped the man move to the side off the road, helped him out a little. Then he got back on the bus. All the people on the bus were looking at him like he was crazy.

They asked him why he helped the man.
Chris thought two things. One having gone to law school, thought about the good Samaritan law. And two, he thought that it was just a nice and considerate thing to do.

They said, "Why are you helping him? If he dies the man's blood is on your hands."

That is the Thai culture.

They believe if you fail at helping a man, even if you try as hard as you can, the man's misfortune or in a most case scenario, death, is your fault.
So they don't even try to help people at all.

I don't think so.
I believe that if you don't try to help a person who is in trouble when you can, you have the bloody hands.
I don't believe that this has anything to do with cultural aspects or opinions. Because the facts are that there will always be a slight chance that you will fail at helping someone but there is also the chance of prevailing.

There is a very fine line between beliefs of a "culture" and "human rights" or "universal ethics". I am not one to judge on what crosses that line. But I know that I will try my hardest to help whoever is in need whenever I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment