Thursday, September 13, 2012

UPDATE

I have a lot to update you guys on so this blog will come in Nine Parts!

Part One:Books
Finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. It was not what I expected. It turned out to be sort of a sci-fy novel? Which turned out to be quiet interesting. The peculiar and clever thing about this book is that every chapter or so there is vintage picture, a picture that connects to the plot. Which was genius and the photographs in this book are beautiful. This book was good, but not my favorite. The ending is a set-up for a sequel which I'm probably read.
On page 74/140 of The Great Gatsby. 50% of the time, I enjoy reading it. 50% of the time I have no idea what's going on because there are too many characters that have similar names so I get them all muddled up!
In the back of TGG there is a a small classic literature dictionary. And there are some pretty awesome words in there! Like ecod, galoot, haply, huffy, vittles, valetudinarian and my personal favorite spondulicks!
I'm going to try to use them more often.

Part Two: Jeopardy
I have never won a game of Class Jeopardy in my life. (Class Jeopardy is where you play Jeopardy except the questions are all about whatever class subject you are studying.)
And I can tell you why I haven't won any.
Let's start in 7th grade.
Washington State History - Didn't have any friends in that class the day we played jeopardy, so I was a little discouraged and just didn't get my hand up fast enough.
8th Grade:
Geometry- yeah I'm good at math, but not that good.
US History/English- We played a lot of Jeopardy in that class although it was set up differently. We played a normal first round, and then the losing team got to choose a player to transfer to their team from the winning team. And then there would be a second round and final jeopardy. And for some reason I was really good at Jeopardy in this class because I could somehow remember the names of American generals during the civil war? Although the problem was, every single game I was chosen to be transferred to the losing team and thus lost jeopardy.
9th grade: I don't think I ever played jeopardy in 9th grade...
10th grade:
World History -So I have no excuse, I didn't know any of the answers....
Page School:
For those of you who don't know, last winter I had the pleasure of being a Senate Page for Derek Kilmer for Washington State. During which, I had Page school for 2 hours a day where I learned about government stuff. On the last we played jeopardy and my team lost during final jeopardy because none of us knew the name of our state's chairman of transportation or finance or something.

Although, today I played jeopardy and won. But I don't think I will count it as a success. The reasons are...
1. There was no final jeopardy.
2. It was about English grammar and vocabulary.
3. It was too easy.

I have struggled through 5 years of battle with class jeopardy and I am not going to take a hand out! So I'm not counting this one.

Part Three: Sick
On Tuesday I was sick. Like feel icky sick. And so I stayed home from school and my host mom took me to the doctor. The doctor's office was at the hospital and my doctor spoke English. As far as I'm concerned I don't have a diagnosis like "virus" or "flu" or "cancer" but I have a ton of pills to take! Like 8 pills a day. Apparently a lot of exchange students here have been getting sick so I'm not too concerned, just think my body is adjusting.

Part Four: Vacation
From next Tuesday until the end of October I have school off. The reason why is because the semester will end next week and there are a lot of Buddhist holidays in October. I am hoping to get together with some of the other exchange students during that time!

Part Five: Thai
chan.............I
koon............you

Part Six: Languages
I am taking German and Chinese classes here! And it's going pretty well. So if all goes as planned, I will be able to speak five languages when I get back to the states....didn't think that would happen...

Part Seven: Debate
Gosh I miss my Debate Class so much! People don't argue or complain here which is super nice. But that means that they don't know what debate is. Like no political debates, no "civil discussions" about business tactics. Nada. And it's killing me!!!! I also feel like I am going to be behind in my debate skills when I get back, I'm not looking forward to that.

Part Eight: iPhone
Multiple people have asked me at school if I am going to buy the new iPhone 5. No. My phone works fine. Plus whenever something new comes out there are always problems with it. And Thai people think that because you  are a foreigner you are rich. No. I am an exchange student aka I am broke.

Part Nine: Questions
Do you have any questions about Thailand? Rotary? Being an Exchange Student? Please let me know in the comments and/or email me at yellowsplat15@gmail.com! Also- video blog? Yes/no?

1 comment:

  1. "This Blog will come in nine parts" You have been watching too much vlogbrother videos! haha

    ReplyDelete